The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.
HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE - ORAL
COMMON BRAND NAME(S): Plaquenil
This medication is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and lupus; and to treat or prevent malaria.
How To Use
Take this medication with food to prevent stomach upset. Take this medication exactly as prescribed. Do not stop taking it without consulting your doctor. It is important to continue taking this for the length of time prescribed. Stopping therapy too soon may not treat the infection and can lead to a reinfection. While taking this medication, your doctor may schedule lab tests to check your eyesight, hearing and blood.
Nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, cramps, loss of appetite, diarrhea, tiredness, weakness or headache may occur the first several days as your body adjusts to the medication. If these effects continue or become bothersome, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop: vision changes (such as blurred vision, trouble seeing at night or problems focusing clearly), ringing in the ears, difficulty hearing. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, breathing trouble. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Tell your doctor if you have: liver disease, blood disorders, psoriasis, allergies (especially drug allergies). This drug should be used only if clearly needed during pregnancy. Since small amounts of this medication are found in breast milk; consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Tell your doctor of any over-the-counter or prescription medication you may take. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.
If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include blurred vision; severe drowsiness or dizziness; fainting; irregular heartbeat; headache; excessive excitability; slow, shallow breathing; seizures; and loss of consciousness.
Children are very sensitive to the effects of this medication. It is important to keep this and all medications out of the reach of children.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (between 15 and 30 degrees C) away from moisture and heat. Do not store in the bathroom.