Managing Type 2 Diabetes
If you are one of the millions of Americans with Type 2 diabetes, you are clearly not alone in trying to manage and take control of your condition. While taking medication to manage your diabetes is vitally important, so it maintaining a healthy diet.
Here are some diet tips to follow if you have Type 2 diabetes.
- Eat lean protein at every meal in order to keep your blood sugar levels stable.
- Always choose fresh food, like vegetables and fruit rather than opting for processed food, which tends to be higher in fat, sodium and simple carbohydrates.
- When eating carbohydrates, stick to ones that release sugar slowly in your body. Think whole grains, vegetables, fruits and legumes rather than simple sugars like candy, processed cakes and products that contain refined flours.
- Fats are an essential part of a healthy diet, but not all fats are created equal. Choose monounsaturated fats like those found in olive oil rather than saturated fats like those found in meat, dairy and other highly processed food.
- Reduce the amount of sodium in your diet and instead learn to cook and flavor food with salt-free seasoning, fresh herbs and citrus juices.
- When eating out or cooking in, avoid fried foods and instead select lean cuts of protein and bake, grill or steam them to keep the flavor while keeping fat to a minimum.
If you have diabetes and are taking prescription medication, it is important to work with your medical doctor and a registered dietician to create a healthy eating plan that allows you to manage your diabetes safely and in a healthy way.